Thursday, April 1, 2010

Putting a lid on it.

Every now and then I come up with a really brilliant idea that enraptures my girlfriend. My most recent idea involved two screws. And by screws, I don’t mean prison wardens. I mean the sort of screws that most blokes keep in their toolkit.

It all began when I was happily blogging. Suddenly I heard a clashing cacophony of sound, reminiscent of the cymbals in Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, but followed by screams of rage. At first I didn’t take too much notice, because I was blogging on My Telegraph at the time, where similar eruptions are all too common.

But then I realised that the unholy din was coming from the kitchen. So I ran to investigate. She was kneeling on the floor, surrounded by a scattering of saucepan lids that had tumbled out of a lower kitchen cabinet. “HELLS BELLS!” she was yelling, as she gathered up the saucepan lids and stuffed them back into the cabinet. “I HATE THESE THINGS!

Of course, she didn’t actually hate the saucepan lids. What she hated was the way in which they were stored; all muddled up and precariously leaning or stacked, one on top of the other. And what she really, really, hated was the chaos that usually erupted when she tried to extract the lid that she wanted from the assorted pile. Saucepan lid handles, situated as they are on the top of each lid, make storage problematic.

She looked at me. I looked at her. And I solved the problem, as you can see from the photo below. So if you are a bloke reading this, feel free to copy the idea and become a hero to the woman in your life.

And remember, there are exactly two screws required for each saucepan lid...

;-)

PS. For technical guidance, see PPS after the photo below.












PPS. Insert two screws in a horizontal line on the inside of the door, set slightly less apart than the diameter of each saucepan lid. Each lid is slid down to be supported by the two protruding screw heads. I applied the same idea for two more saucepan lids on the inside of the other door on the right. Simple!!! :-)

PPPS. It's a good idea to use short screws that won't poke out through the front of the door. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment